Sunday, May 8, 2011

mum

exerpt from a mothers day talk given today in church:

"my friend and her mother left the church when we were sophomores in high school. she started hanging out with a new group of friends and it left me rather lonely. a few months later, my old friend asked me to go to a movie with her and some other friends on sunday. not wanting to sound like a goodie goodie, i accepted the invitation. i went home and told my mom i would be seeing a movie that sunday."

i sighed expecting to hear this:

"my mom gently told me that the sabbath was a holy day and that we don't work or make other people work, therefore don't go to movies on sunday. i trusted her advice, prayed and felt peace about it, told my friend i couldn't go, and was blessed with new friends by not making a bad decision."

much to my surprise, that's not what she said! instead it went something like this:

"first she looked at me with questioning, but then her face turned to a look of empathy. she knew how lonely i had been. she didn't feel the need to lecture me because she had taught me the principles of the gospel and trusted me to make my own choices."

now THAT'S a good mom. and a good talk.

1 comment: